Images of Borve
|Borve Free Church is one of the largest village meeting halls in Lewis. Originally built about 1895, it has remained substantially unchanged since that time with the main building and proch as shown. It underwent major renovations in the 1980s including the addition of an annexe and new car parking area. At one time it featured attractive stained glass panes in the windows. It still uses a clock which was presented to the congregation in 1908. Borve falls under the Barvas parish, and is one of largest parts of the Free Church congregation of that parish. Services are held in Borve on alternate Sunday evenings.|
|This fine Memorial to the men and women of the West Side who lost their lives in war was erected in recent years and stands close to the Clan MacQuarrie Hall. It shows the names of those from the villages of North Galson. South Galson, Melbost Borve, High Borve, Borve, Lower Shader, Upper Shader, and Ballantrushal who were lost in the Anglo-Boer War, the Great War and the Second World War, and also those who lost their lives in the tragic sinking of the MV Iolaire just outside Stornoway Harbour on 1 January 1919.|
|The old bridge over the Borve River still stands, having been replaced in 1991 by a new bridge which is adjacent. Built in 1896, it is still in fine condition. It was notably out of line with the A857 road which passed over it, and constituted a trap for the unwary speeder! Walking the parapet was a pastime for the more foolhardy Borwegian youngsters, and one notable is alleged to have cycled along it! The bridge was also the location for "Danns an Drochaid" in earlier days.|
Built immediately adjacent to its predecessor in 1991, the new bridge compensates in practicality for its lack of style and character. What more can we say about it?
The houses in the background are in High Borve (Am Bail Ard).
|Once home to 5 little shops, the village passed through a phase when it had not shops at all and was dependent on travelling mobile vans. Borve Mini Market is the only shop in a 10 mile stretch from Dell to Barvas.|
|When the villagers of Borve rallied to the rescue of the crew of the MV Clan MacQuarrie in 1953, a gratful Clan Line presented the village with a gift of £100. This was used to buy a surplus RAF hut from Ness, which became the Village Hall. It was subsequently extended and renovated, and is still home to Borve Croileagan (Playgroup). A new Community Centre is planned for the location between the Clan MacQuarrie Hall and the North Lewis War Memorial.|
Formerly the Doctor's Surgery from the time of Dr Ross until Dr Henderson, this building has been extensively changed and extended. It began to serve drink, originally with just a table licence, in the late 1970's as the bothans (unofficial drinking places) began to be phased out. Ownership has changed several times in the past 20 years.
In the 1980's the then proprietors started a small brewery, making extra strong beers. The brewery still operates under the name "Borve Brewery" but is now based in Huntly, Aberdeens-shire.
Photographs courtesy of Mrs Kenina Graham, 54 Borve, Isle of Lewis.
These photographs may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with attribution.