This site is dedicated to the village of Borve, Isle of Lewis. We are gathering information, photographs etc at present, and plan to launch the site in autumn 2004.

A page of Borve photographs, taken in September 2003, is now available here.

Borve made a rare appearance in the media in June 2004, when a bid for Sunday licensing at Borve Tavern was rejected by the local Licensing Board. Grampian TV's report is here.

  Beautiful Borve, Isle of Lewis


Clan MacQuarrie
Clan MacQuarrie ashore at Borve, January 1953

According to the Timeline on the website Rampant Scotland "On January 31 1953 66 crew were saved from the cargo vessel Clan MacQuarrie after it went aground near Borve, Lewis. In winds gusting to 100mph, it was the biggest ever carried out using breeches buoy in a single operation."

The Clan Macquarrie (7131 tons) was the second vessel to bear that name for the Clan Line. Built in 1942 as the Ocean Wayfarer it was purchased in 1948 from Ministry of War (Transport) and had to be scrapped after running aground in Borve.

The first Clan Macquarrie (5060 tons) was built in 1913. It was sunk by an Italian submarine west of Freetown in 1942. The Clan Line traded from 1877 until 1981.

Photographs courtesy of Mrs Kenina Graham, 54 Borve, Isle of Lewis. These photographs may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with attribution.